Avast, me hearties! ‘Tis Parley Akin ta a Matey Day. Arr! Here’s a wee chart fer ye land lubbers ta abide by so ye can parley proper this day.
Translation: Attention, my friends! It’s Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yay! Here’s a short guide for you land dwellers so you can converse properly today.
Key Pirate Phrases:
Arr!: A multi-purpose exclamation
Avast: Stop, or attention
Land lubbers: One who loves solid land, or land dwellers
Matey: Associate, or fellow pirate
Parley: Converse, or talk
Run a rig: To play a trick
Pirate Speak Example: Ahoy, me hearties! Let’s parley about running a rig on the land lubbers. Arr! (Hello, my friends! Let’s talk about playing a trick on the land dwellers. Haha!)
If you’re ready for the full Talk Like a Pirate Day experience, Facebook has you covered. Did you know you can change your Facebook language to Pirate? Here’s how:
- Click on the settings icon along the top bar of your page, then click on “Account Settings.”
- You’ll now be on the “General Account Settings” page. From here, find the line that says “Language,” and click on “Edit.”
- Scroll through until you find “English (Pirate),” and click on it. Once this is selected, click on the “Save Changes” button.
When you’re ready to switch back from Pirate:
- Click on the settings icon along the top bar, and then click on “Ye Ship’s Rigging.”
- Once on the “General Account Settings” page, find the line that says “Tongue,” and click on “Mend th’ sails.”
- Scroll through until you find your regular language option, and click on it. Once this is selected, click on the “Stow Changes” button.