Starting on February 12 (for HDPVR 630 units) and February 18 (for HDDSR 600/605 units), Shaw Direct will be deploying software version 09.15. Once targeted (as seen on line I in OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will automatically update at around 2:10AM local time. It is not possible to force the update if you have not been targeted.
The overall look and feel is unchanged with this download, with the exception of updating branding.
This release provides increased VOD speeds, significant PPV enhancements, updated Closed Captions decoding and improved stability. Prior to 09.15, the last software download was 08.26 in late October 2012.
09.15 Release Highlights
Overall Stability Improvements
- General updates related to stability/reliability to reduce the chances of the receiver becoming “frozen”
- If an issue is encountered that the unit is unable to resolve, a reboot may occur automatically to restore normal operation.
Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Dual Streaming & Usability Updates
- Network and streaming drivers have been rewritten to enhance network throughput and VOD streaming performance.
- A substantial increase in average speeds has been experienced with our Field Trial and Employee Trial groups.
- If you previously had unexpectedly low Speed Test results, or issues streaming during local peak usage, an improvement should be seen with this release.
- Unsubscribed content on VOD should display “grey” consistently, rather than sometimes giving a W4 error.
Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Adult Content
- Support has been added for Adult content. Adult content is found in a separate VOD menu, which is hidden by default. A variety of Parental Control options are available to further limit access to this content.
- To enable access to the Adult VOD store, Parental Controls must be enabled. Then, press D to access the VOD menu bar, scroll to “VOD Settings”, and enter your password. Change “Adult VOD” to “Enabled”. Exit the menu, and press D again. You’ll see a new button in the middle of the menu bar labelled “Adult”.
- All Parental Control options (including Purchase Limit) will also apply to Adult content.
- As with Adult PPV Content:
- There is no free preview period on Adult VOD content
- Coupons do not apply to Adult VOD titles
- Adult VOD content features discrete billing.
PPV Order Enhancements
- PPV programs now feature an “Order ID” in the Guide. You can use this number to quickly place your order via the automated phone system (1-866-782-7778).
- Once your receiver gets the order, the “!” alert icon will appear. Pressing ENTER will display the Purchase History screen, which will list details of the title you ordered. The “$” sign will also appear in the Guide on the title you purchased.
- You must still setup an auto-tune, recording, or remember to tune in when the PPV starts.
- If you didn’t receive confirmation of the purchase and the title doesn’t appear in Purchase History, use the “receiver refresh” option via the automated phone system or Self Serve to send the purchase through again.
- In alignment with industry and studio standards, PPV movies recorded on the HDPVR 630 will be available for unlimited viewing for 48 hours, after which the title will automatically expire.
External HDD Updates
- Once paired, eSATA hotplug is now supported. However, unplugging your external HDD while it is connected is still not recommended. (Note that on initial pairing, you must still reboot the receiver to initiate the connection).
- Units with a large number of recordings stored on an external drive should see improved performance after bootup, in the PVR List, and with the playback of recent recordings.
This release also updates the Shaw Direct logo to reflect the new brand launched in late Fall.